Saturday, January 9, 2010

Learn Something New Every Day!

Shari has been resting well, which is about all the doctor said she should do for now and her vital signs are well into the range that her cardiologist wants them to be. She woke about 9 AM and missed my excitement for this day.

Today I was given a lesson in "Winter Survival". Understand that "we" don't get much winter on the Gulf Coast of Texas. As a matter of fact, we have not had more than an hour or two of freezing temps in the last 5 or more Winters. Oh, it may dip to 29 now and then from about 6 AM to 8 AM but not since 1996 have we had temps below 32 degrees for hours at a time.

Understanding that the motor home has never been winterized or even had the water drained and the "Stick House" not been subjected to freezing temps to speak of, I was eager to make sure all was in place for this three day blast. I made sure my one exposed water pipe, from the ground to the house, was wrapped and insulated well. Hurricane Ike had taken lots of insulation from the underside and I am glad I checked. The only 2 other exposures are the front and back faucet which I wrapped in insulation, covered with a bag and a trash can.

Then I waited.

Last night it was 29 at bedtime so against my better judgement, I left the kitchen faucet trickle just a bit as added insurance. The motor home's furnace was turned on and set to 50 with the "water bay" blower "ON" which circulated warm 50 degree air in the water compartments. I have a remote thermometer in the bay and the temp never got below 35 degrees last night.

Early this morning, I woke up and all was well....no frozen pipes or drains. I made coffee and put on a load of laundry as I had told Shari I would wash her gowns which are the "wardrobe" of choice after her heart attack. Five minutes into the wash cycle it happened. The cats were ankle deep in laundry water and they were not happy. The litter box is in the laundry room and the floor was flooded. I turned off the machine and put 6-8 towels on the floor, ran for the mop and bucket and held back the flood. I then used buckets to shuttle water to the bathroom (which had no such drain issue) in order to complete the task of washing before Shari woke up.
You should see how clean the tile floor is in the laundry room.... LOL

Anyway, Shari got up a bit latter and I fixed breakfast, Egg Beaters, Toast and Sugar Free jam, with Decaf coffee...Yumm.

Thus I have added to my list of things never to forget to put some RV antifreeze in the "P" Traps on all of the drains at bedtime when temps will be below freezing.

This was day two of our three day cold snap then back to normal Winter temps ranging from highs of the mid 60's and lows in the mid 50's for next week.

Enjoy and stay safe.

1 comment:

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

It's very difficult to remember to do everything, when we are not used to doing it, Jake.

My MH isn't winterized either. I did drain it, and leave faucets open, in case there was some residual water in the lines. But I didn't know how to act when it went down to 12.7 deg. last night.
I am so glad that Shari is on the mend. Hugs, Penny.

Backyard Weather

Click for High Island, Texas Forecast
Click above to view Local Weather

Blog Archive

Shakedown Oct3, 2003

Shakedown Oct3, 2003
2003 Newmar Kountry Star

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls
NF KOA with friends

Jake at the South Pole 2001

Jake at the South Pole 2001
NOT an RV Trip CLICK FOR STORY